With friends and family, I tailgated outside of the Eagles-Jets game, scarfing beer, bratwurst, chips and, yes, hot tea.
The game was a hoot too — a 45-19 win for the Eagles to keep their slim playoff hopes alive in my first full NFL game.
I picked up some lessons for tailgating:
- When it’s cold, you need a lot more charcoal than you realize.
- Plates, forks, cups, tongs and other utensils do, uh, help.
- Thermos of hot water for tea is a good idea, but need travel mugs (and whiskey)
- Blankets were a great choice, in addition to thermals and jackets and hats and gloves
- Lots of meat: at least three for each person
- Hot dogs, bratwurst and sausages with great rolls were good choices
- Bring some tin foil of peppers and onions
- If you want to see the whole game, stop tailgating an hour before